Friday, April 01, 2016

10. Black Flags: The Rise of ISIS by Joby Warrick


“The black flags will come from the East, led by mighty men, with long hair and beards, their surnames taken from their home towns.” The Hadith

This is a prophecy from a report of the words, actions, or habits of the Prophet Mohammed called The Hadith. ISIS believes they are a fulfillment of that prophecy. Thus why they have black flags for their movement.  

I read Warrick's first book, Triple Agent, over the Christmas break. Actually, I had tried to read this second one before that because I heard Warrick on the PBS Newshour in November. Here is that interview:

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365613793/

I decided to start with his first one instead, and I was mesmerized. I could not put his first book down, and this newer one is no different.

This guy gives you history, but it is no way dry or boring. He focuses on individuals within the larger story and shapes biographical vignettes that give the larger story a very human face.

Watch the PBS video, and you will see what a personable guy Warrick is. It comes through in his writing. 

Warrick tells his story without political bias. Neither Bush nor Obama comes out looking very good in this story. I knew invading Iraq was a BIG mistake. Now I know more why that was such a big mistake!


You will not be disappointed with this book. I loved it! 


No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...