Friday, July 11, 2014

29. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis



When I would tell people I had never read Mere Christianity before, I would often get looks that bordered on condemnation that said, "And YOU call yourself a Christian?"  

I tried explain to people that my brain does not function like C.S. Lewis. My past attempts at reading this book were futile, and I felt like my youngest son who proclaimed at four years old that he would eat chicken when his mouth gets bigger. I knew that someday I would read C.S. Lewis when my brain got bigger, and I finally have done it (although my son is 6 feet 9 inches with a fully grown mouth and still does not eat chicken . . . but I digress)!

Not that I am that much smarter, but since I have read through 254 classics (see the links at the top of this page) and tackled his easier book, The Screwtape Letters, I felt ready to tackle his masterpiece (or so everyone says).  

I finished listening to the last hour of the book as I rode my bike to campus/downtown and back today, and I found myself oohing and aahing at almost every word exclaiming things like, "Yes! That's it! Wish I could say it like that!" or just rode down the street with a bug-gathering grin. This book was good for my soul! I admit it: I wish I had read it sooner.

Lewis is hands-down one of the most brilliant writers of the 20-century, and this is his magnum opus. I am in awe.

Here is a link to many quotes: 


By the way, Geoffrey Howard - aka - Ralph Cosham is one of my favorite narrators. He has read so many books to me over the years (Animal Farm, Screwtape Letters, Watership Down, The Ransom Trilogy) that I felt right at home. 

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...