Saturday, April 26, 2014

Luke 18:9-14 -- The Pharisee and the Tax Collector

HIS WORDS

And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 

But the tax collector,standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, the sinner!’ 


I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”


MY WORDS

Jesus told a story to those who were complacently pleased with themselves over their moral performance and assumed they were in right standing before God because of it and looked down at the common people: "Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one was a religious man called a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee prayed like this: 'Oh God, I thank You that I am not like other people -- robbers, crooks, adulterers, or even like this tax collector here. I fast twice a week; I pay tithes on all my income.'

"But the tax collector was standing a distance away and could not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but kept striking his breast, saying, 'O God, be gracious to me because I am a wicked sinner.'"

Jesus said, "I tell you, the tax collector went back to his home forgiven and in right standing before God, rather than the other man; for everyone who lifts himself up will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be raised to a position of dignity and honor. 

I WILL

Pray and listen to God about this one! :) 

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...