Friday, December 30, 2022

2022 Reading Wrap Up

Here is the Goodreads summary of my Year in Books 2022: https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2022/2684360 

I read 10,000 fewer pages this year than last year! (Update: since writing this, I realized that when I listen to an audiobook, it only counts the number of pages that the audiobook might have in its packet. So, an 800-page book might be zero pages in the audiobook. I would add at least 5,000 pages to the above total pages read, but it doesn't really matter.)  Chalk it up to having a very full year with travel that did not involve having time for reading (because I was walking 71 miles on the Camino or going to conferences and talking with lots of people)! I also did a lot more praying and meditating on my long training walks for the Camino and less listening to audiobooks while I walked! 

These questions are a composite of questions given over the years from the Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge. 


For all my books with a bit of commentary (I don't write long ones, sorry), click the link HERE.

How many books did you read? 60

NON-FICTION FAVORITES:

No Picnic on Mount Kenya - fascinating prison break just to climb a mountain and go back.

Alexander Hamilton - The book that inspired Lin-Manuel Miranda to write the Hamilton musical. Good writing!

Undaunted Courage (Lewis and Clark) - excellent writing - could not put it down.

FICTION FAVORITES:

Game of Thrones - A Song of Fire and Ice - I am so surprised I liked the writing, and it is easier for me to read than to watch the blood and gore (and graphic sex) on a screen. The guy really can write. So, I see why he is so popular. 

The Firm - I totally get why he is such a popular novelist. He knows how to get people to turn the page. This was another one I could not put down (and had the time because I am on Christmas break from Spiritual Direction). 

Which character did you fall in love with? 

Dorcas Lane in Lark Rise to Candleford (although I draw much of her from what I watched in the TV series - this is one instance where the theatrical version is better than the book)

Mr. Chips from Goodbye, Mr. Chips

SPIRITUAL NON-FICTION FAVORITES:

Living Fearless - I think everyone should read this book (and I am not just saying that because the author is my friend)

Soul Journey by Margaret Silf - I had the honor of attending her seminar (via Zoom) on this subject. It is an easy read that caused me to ponder my journey more deeply. 

Did you discover any "new to you" authors? 

John Grisham - I had read a couple of others by him many years ago, but they were novels that were out of his normal genre. I really like The Firm. 

George R.R. Martin - I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I would like his writing, but I did. 

What was your reading goal this year and did you have a plan, and/or follow rabbit trails or wing it? 

My goal was 52 books.

I got through the Renovare Book Club (4) and 1000 Books to Read Before You Die (30) books. I also had a lot of rereads for the Order of the Mustard Seed and 2nd Half Collaborative Cohorts and books I read to prepare for the Camino de Santiago. I only read two for the Book Babes Book Club because not too many of them interested me this year. 

Where did your armchair travels take you? 

France, Russia, the "Blue Highways" of the United States, the Lewis and Clark Trail, Sharecropping South of 1936, fantasy world of Game of Thrones. 

Which book stood out, made an impression, and/or stayed with you the longest? What did you learn from it? 

Similarly: What is the one book you think everybody should read in 2023?

I have recommended this book to so many, and all have loved it. 

Living Fearless - I was already a wholehearted proponent of understanding how loved we are by God and allowing him to tell us who we are (our identity) when I met Jamie and Donna in 2011. They have been speaking on this for years but Jamie finally put it in book form!  Spend a ten-hour retreat (I did it over two days) and create space for God to tell you great things!

Which book had the most original, most unique story?  

Game of Thrones - A Song of Fire and Ice

This guy created quite an amazing world. Some will be offended by the graphic content though. (My doctor told his students that "Carol would not like the show Game of Thrones" many years ago, and he is right, but he knew I would like the writing of the books, and he was correct. The show - NO! 

All that said, I only read the first book (because it was on the list). I don't think I could read the whole series. 

Which book made you laugh? 

Cheaper by the Dozen - What a wacky family!


Which one made you cry? None

Which books did you like the least and why? 

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

It is set in the 50s and would NEVER be popular today because of how denigrating the main characters are to women. These are people who lead lives of quiet desperation. I did not care for it, but I soldiered through it. It is on almost every "must-read list" I have ever seen. So, for that reason, I am glad to finally have my curiosity satisfied. 


Favorite Cover: 



New Question: What are your reading plans for next year?

I will be concentrating on the list of 1000 Books to Read Before You Die. I have read 375. It has so many books I never would think of reading (like The Firm and Game of Thrones). I really love expanding my horizons of reading this way. 

June 2023 Update: I was very concentrated on this list, but they were sort of a downer. So, I decided to read through the Amplified Bible from cover to cover and update my Bible Book Club blog (which is like reading another BIG book), and it has been so much better for my soul. So, I am not sure how much I will concentrate on this list anymore. 

I will have more time to do so because I am not...
  • reading books to prepare for interviews with the Abiding Life/Fruitful Disciple Podcast
  • reading books to lead OMS or 2HC Cohorts
  • teaching at OSU and Timberhill
  • leading an OMS prayer watch
  • leading anyone through the Spiritual Exercises until September.
I am excited about the coming year! 

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

What an interesting reading year you had! I would not like the show Game of Thrones either. I have heard the writing is excellent, but not sure I wanted to start on the series. Hope your 2023 reading life is all you hope it to be!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Yes, I will only read one in the series because it is on the 1000 Books to Read Before You Die list. It makes me curious how it all ends up, but apparently, he has not even finished the series!

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...