Friday, February 10, 2023

Ender's Game



Another science fiction book that I loved. This is a "bildungsroman" which is "a novel whose principal subject is the moral, psychological, and intellectual development of a usually youthful main character." It was so well-written that I could not put it down. 
The character development of Ender Wiggins is masterful. It makes a statement about war too. 

I liked the movie with Harrison Ford and Asa Butterfield too. 


Here is why James Mustich thinks it should be one of the 1000 Books You Read Before You Die:

The Wiggin children are unusual, even for the unusual world in which Ender’s Game unfolds. There’s the oldest, Peter, a power-mad sociopath; Valentine, the sister who turns her eloquence to Peter’s service; and then there’s Ender, their little brother, who is singled out by the authorities as the military genius who just might prove to be Earth’s savior in its epic conflict with an alien enemy. Set at some indeterminate time in the planet’s future, when humanity has been at war with the Formics, an insect-like alien race (familiarly dubbed “buggers”) for a hundred years, Ender’s Game might appear at first blush to be the most formulaic of science fiction novels. But just try to put it down. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

I had to set my Alexa timer twice because she heard me say 50 minutes instead of 15. So, here I go. I know I have not been doing as many fre...