Monday, January 02, 2023

Joyful Journey: Listening to Immanuel


My word for 2023 is JOY. Somehow Amazon knew that (they are everywhere) and recommended this book while reading another book on Kindle. So, I took the plunge, and it was interesting to read. 

This is about the practical working out of brain science from a book I read last year called Renovated

It is a guide for a process called Immanuel Journaling. It is about making that connection to the statement in Matthew 1:23 (from Isaiah 7:14) that Jesus is "God with us." 

Most do not live in this truth, and this is one process for making that connection. 

It purports three steps:

1) Interactive Gratitude - Think about something you are grateful for and share your heart with God and take a moment to listen to God's response to your gratitude. (That is an interesting addition to expressing gratitude.) 

2) Thought Rhyming - Imagine God... 
  •  seeing your situation, environment, and inner experience
  •  hearing your spoken and unspoken thoughts 
  •  understanding and validating your experience with compassion because he knows you well
  • assuring you he has the power to help you and give you everything you need. 
This is much like the Ignatian concept of "beholding God beholding you." This involves a dialogue rather than just monologuing about your stuff. It is about interacting with God over it. (You are not just talking to a wall.)

This gets to the attachment of love that Wilder talked about in the book Renovated. 

3) Reading your interaction with God out loud to someone you trust - this is based on brain science about what happens in two brains when they are interacting. 

I can see myself doing this with some tweaks. It is a little bit too structured and transactional rather than relational.  But I cannot knock it because these people have been using this for years, and it seems to be really helpful in their practice as therapists.

I could see this going with Examen prayer really nicely. I like the concept of Interactive Gratitude which is one of the steps in the Examen. 

I like the thought behind it, and I read mine to George, and it was great. He agreed it was a little canned and glad he didn't have to do it. I think the concepts are great, but many roads lead to Rome. 

Update: I have been practicing this since I read the book, and I think it has great value. I did adapt it and made it less "canned" and changed some of the names which don't communicate anything to me. I also only do it when I am experiencing emotions that I cannot identify. It really helped me yesterday (January 11) before I was going to lead a contemplative cohort and was feeling mild anxiety. It was really helpful in giving me direction for the time. I will continue to adapt it to make it more usable for others. 
The authors suggest a group dynamic. They have a downloadable form for the process on their website. 

This is Jim Wilder's website for the application of brain science:





 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

I had to set my Alexa timer twice because she heard me say 50 minutes instead of 15. So, here I go. I know I have not been doing as many fre...