Tuesday, October 06, 2020

How to Pray: Week Two - Chapters 3 & 4: Slowing and Centering and Adoration

 

How to Pray Study Guide Questions: Chapter 3-4 – Pause and Rejoice

 Read: Chapter 3: Slowing and Centering; Chapter 4: Adoration

Key verse

“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name” – Matthew 6:9 

Summary points

· Start by recognising God is God.

· Worship puts things back into perspective.

· Use P.R.A.Y – Pause, Rejoice, Ask, Yield.

Questions

Q. Why do you think that we most often associate prayer with asking, rather than worship and adoration? “In commanding us to glorify him, God is inviting us to enjoy him” – C.S.Lewis

That is how we are often with each other. We ask for favors rather than savor our relationships. Being an uber-relational person, I realize that most people are much more transactional in their interactions rather than relational. So I think this transfers over into our relationship with God.

Q. Do you enjoy spending time with God? When are the times that prayer feels most enjoyable?

Absolutely. It is better than chocolate. I cannot wait to get up in the morning, make a cuppa’ Chai, and commune with him. It is the highlight of my day, and I try to continue experiencing his presence even as I interact with others.

It is most enjoyable when I know I have nothing else “on my plate” but spending extended, undistracted time with him.

Q. Pete says that prayer is primarily about relationship with God: “It’s relational, not transactional”. How does this change your perspective of coming to God in prayer?

I had not read all the questions when I started this so I already answered this in the first question. I do not see my prayer life as transactional. Being an “uber-relational” Social/Attraction Type Two, prayer is all about relationship and emersion/fusion with him.

Q. In Acts 4:24-31, the early church put their own crisis into perspective by worshipping. What are the practical things you could do this week to foster an attitude of worship in your daily routine?

Worship stretching, dancing, and walking (admiring God’s creation). Pausing to center on him. Praying through praise Psalms.  Pausing in the middle of the day for praise in worship songs.

Do It

Practise thanksgiving and praise by reflecting on Psalm 8. You might like to read it out loud. Then, take time to Pause and Rejoice:

· Pause: Take a moment in silence and invite the Holy Spirit to help you reflect on what you’ve just read. 

· Rejoice: Speak out prayers of adoration. Reflect and to thank God for one or two things in your life. You might like to use the Psalm as inspiration, too.

This is so cool because I had already decided that my spiritual direction times with directees would start off in Psalm 8 this week! CB and I did it yesterday, and it was a lovely time together. Psalm 8 will continue all week. I love it when God does this! CB told me about the Passion translation of this Psalm which I will have to look up. 

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...