Thursday, July 16, 2015

32. The MELT Method: A Breakthrough Self-Treatment System to Eliminate Chronic Pain


So interesting that LibraryThing predicted that I probably would not like this book. I have not posted many of the books I read for fitness. So, I am sure based on all the classics I have read over the years that LibraryThing assumes I am a couch potato! Fitness books have many diagrams showing one how to perform the exercises, so I have not posted them as "reading" because I don't know if I "read" the whole book from cover to cover, but this one, I read all the introductions and most of the exercises (Once I got to the "Maps" I got confused and just ordered her DVD's that I can do like any old fitness DVD). I have been doing fascia release on my feet and a little on my legs for about two years now, but this takes fascia "rehydration" to a whole other level. Her introduction goes into a lot of detail about the science behind all of this, and she tends to repeat things over and over. So, I did not like that about the book.I also thought the "sequences" and "maps" were really confusing. I still don't get that and hope to go to a live class that is being taught in my town on Tuesdays. All that said, I have lived with some level of pain my whole life. Most of the time, I can moderate it by standing instead of sitting for too long (as I type this with my stand up desk), regular massage and osteopathic adjustment, core conditioning through Pilates, posterior chain strengthening through foundationtraining.com, and proper posture through the Gokhale Method. I really manage my pain well, actually. I do not have the luxury of being a couch potato having been through three major car accidents before the age of 19 (hit with my mom but cannot remember what happened, spun around in a 180 on the way to school when I was 16, and totally rolled my car Freshman year in college) and having one leg longer than the other and hips that do weird things causing unilateral sacral flexion without rhyme nor reason (so glad I married into a family with an osteopath!). It is true, most of my passions involve SITTING (writing, Bible Book Club blogging and book writing, photography [most time involves sitting to do post-processing rather than being out in the field shooting], communicating by email with numerous groups of people because of our ministry), but my other passion IS health, fitness, and nutrition (I have a B.S. in Food and Nutrition with a Community Nutrition Emphasis and am a former college athlete). I am becoming certified as a personal trainer and Pilates instructor over the next few months. So, this will be part of my "toolbox" for helping people relieve pain. I am also good at motivating people to lose weight as I have kept most of mine of for two and a half years. Actually, I am just into WELLNESS: physical, mental, spiritual, emotional (see the reason for this blog above). I will be posting more of the books I am reading for my personal training and Pilates endeavors from now on. Maybe LibraryThing will deem that I "like" it after I do that! LOL! 

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...