Thursday, May 08, 2014

6A: SINAI & THE TEN COMMANDMENTS - Exodus 20:1-21





This includes Pharoah pursuing the Israelites and the Wilderness Wanderings of Sinai: 

https://vimeo.com/groups/240885/videos/27894308

HIS WORDS: Exodus 20:1-21


MY WORDS


God spoke all these words:


"I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt, out of a life of slavery.


1) You must have no other gods but Me alone.

2) You must not make any carved gods of any form and worship them, whether of things that fly or walk or swim. Do not bow down to them and do not serve them because I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing the children for any sins their parents pass on to them to the third, and even the fourth generation of those who hate me. But I am very loyal to the thousands who love me and keep my commandments.

3) You must not use or repeat the name of the LORD your God lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who uses His name that way. 

4) You must earnestly remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy (withdrawn from common employment and dedicated to God). You must labor and do all your work in six days, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your children, or your servants, or your domestic animals, or the foreign guest visiting in your town. For in six days GOD made Heaven, Earth, and sea, and everything in them; He rested on the seventh day. Therefore GOD blessed the Sabbath day; He set it apart as a holy day.

_______________________________________________
5) You must treat with honor, due obedience, and courtesy your father and mother, that your days may be long in the land the LORD your God gives you.

6) You must not murder.


7) You must not commit adultery. [Prov 6:25,26; Matt. 5:28; Rom. 1:24; Eph. 5:3]


8) You must not steal. [Prov. 11:1; 16:8; 21:6; 22:16; Jer. 17:11; Mal. 3:8]


9) You must not give false testimony against your neighbor. [Ex. 23:1; Prov. 19:9; 24:28]


10) You must not lust after your neighbor's house -- or wife or servant or maid or ox or donkey. Do not set your heart on anything that is your neighbor's. [Luke 12:15; Col. 3:5]


All the people were afraid when they experienced the thunder and lightening, the trumpet blast, and the smoking mountain so they pulled back and stood at a distance from Moses. They said to him, "You speak to us, and we will listen; but do not have God speak to us or we will die!"


Moses told the people: "Do not be afraid. God has come to test you and instill a deep and reverent awe of Him within you so that you will not sin (you will not want to!)."


The people kept their distance while Moses approached the thick cloud where God was. 


I WILL


I have NOT been keeping the Sabbath lately. I know that I am not bound to the Law, and Jesus is our Sabbath rest, but I know that REST is a part of the cycle God had when He created the world. I did take Tuesday off (earliest day I was able to do it because Saturday, Sunday, and Monday were pretty packed with things). It is hard when your "work" is also your ministry. I LOVE what I do, and I have learned to abide in His presence while I work (because that is what He desires for us to do so that our ministry is overflow). So, I do not get worn out that often (God has been teaching me MUCH about the ABIDE-RIDE-REST cycle!). But this week, I pushed the envelope going from 8 am - 6:30 pm without a break, and the next two Saturdays do not look any different. Lord, speak to me about that. I want Saturdays to be more restful because that is our only day as a family too since George is up in Hillsboro during the week. Give me wisdom God. I want to honor YOUR Sabbath and keep it set apart for you. Hmm. Hearing that Friday can always be that "set apart" day as I already have it as a 1/2 day or full day prayer time every other week. Just always make Friday free of any meetings or anything. Hmm. Unless I have a free Saturday. Awaiting and listening on You instructions about that God! 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...