Sunday, November 04, 2012

52 in 52 Week 45: Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare



I thought I had read this Shakespearean play and had already checked it off my 100 Great Books List, but when I finished what I thought was my last book this morning (Catch-22), I updated and reviewed my list at http://www.librarything.com/catalog/Carolfoasia and realized that I had only read the Lois Burdett version to my kids and seen the full play on DVD and live. 



Actually that excited me because the last books of my 100 Great Books List were all depressing and more modern. How much better to end my 100 Great Books journey with something funny and early modern! 

This is a delightful comedy. The characters are so funny.  Everyone should have the pleasure of listening to it. This NAXOS audio version is the best! 

Totally forgotten about this famous quote being from this play:


"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them". - (Quote Act II, Scene V).

And here are more:

"Love sought is good, but giv'n unsought is better" . - (Quote Act III, Scene I)
If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
That strain again! it had a dying fall:
O, it came o’er my ear like the sweet sound 1
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odour!
Quote Act i. Scene 1.

Is it a world to hide virtues in? Twelfth Night Quote Act i. Scene 3.

We will draw the curtain and show you the picture. Twelfth Night Quote Act i. Scene 5.

Then come kiss me, sweet and twenty. Twelfth Night Quote Act ii. Scene 3.

He does it with a better grace, but I do it more natural. Twelfth Night Quote Act ii. Scene 3.

This is very midsummer madness. Quote Act iii. Scene 4.
Out of the jaws of death. Quote Twelfth Night. Act iii. Scene 4. 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...