Sunday, March 04, 2012

52 in 52: Week 10: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Click image to view full coverThis book's title comes from a Robert Burns poem titled "To a Mouse"


"But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley, (Often go awry)

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain
For promis'd joy."



This book was based on Steinbeck's own experience as a "bindlestiff" (a hobo who carries a bindle, which is a collection of belongings wrapped in a cloth and tied around a stick). It was published in 1937 during the height of the depression




This is a very "tight" story that involves a very short amount of time. It is set in California. The two main characters are George and Lennie who are farmhands with a dream.


I loved The Grapes of Wrath, and I really loved this novella. It is a "psychological novel." I don't want to spoil it. It is "gritty" though. Just a warning. Steinbeck is a brilliant writer, but he writes about the tough things. 


I love this quote from John Steinbeck's journal:



In every bit of honest writing in the world there is a base theme. Try to understand men, if you understand each other you will be kind to each other. Knowing a man well never leads to hate and nearly always leads to love. There are shorter means, many of them. There is writing promoting social change, writing punishing injustice, writing in celebration of heroism, but always that base theme. Try to understand each other.— John Steinbeck in his 1938 journal entry[5]

3 comments:

DHooper said...

I loved this book. I thought the movie with John Malkovich and Gary Sinise was done well also.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I hadn't clued in that there was a movie version! Thank you for the heads up. I LOVE Gary Sinise as an actor (Loved him in Forrest Gump). I heard a review on this audiobook that the narrator wasn't good, and I thought, "Does this guy know who Gary Sinise is?" I thought he narrated it brilliantly. I am going to go and look to see if my library has this. Thanks so much DHooper for the heads up!

Ashley said...

We had to read this in English class and I think half the class was crying after the last chapter. This is such an amazing book :D Thanks for reviewing it!

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...