Friday, December 22, 2006

Review of Pursuit of Happyness




It was a sweet story. I don't think it is any Academy Award winner, but it is poignant. The only think that I would say is that happiness is not in having money, and Chris Gardner is the first to say that in his interviews. So, the movie may have a little bit too much emphasis on the fact that all those stock brokers out on the sidewalk were happy because they were making 80,000 a month (that is the amount the man in the red car was making when Chris Gardner asked him). With all that said, money does provide a roof over our heads and food in our stomach. So, we do need it to survive.

Chris Gardner has said in his interviews that "home" and "happiness" are in the relationships that we have with one another and the time we spend in investment. This was definitely modeled by the character in the movie, but the dialogue made it sound like money was the be all end all. Chris Gardner would not agree. He said in an interview on Oprah something to the effect that he knows people with all the money in the world that don't spend any time with their children, and that is a tragedy. So, he is talking about being "spiritually" poor there even with a lot of money.

Overall, I really did like it though. It was a good movie to count your blessings during the holidays.

I am skipping my Group Power class again. I didn't feel well when I got up this morning again. I am going for a walk with Michelle at 9 a.m., and I didn't want to over do it with weigh lifting and walking. I am going to ease back into everything very slowly. I have been sick off and on for almost ten days now. Hopefully, I will be better by Christmas.

No comments:

Freewrite Friday: Contemplating JOY

From: https://www.sparklesofsunshine.com/beauty-for-ashes-free-printable/ I went into a Centering Prayer time with Meditation Chapel this mo...