Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Between the World and Me







 I will never be able to fathom what it would be like for a black man to grow up in America. This was helpful.

Here is why James Mustich thinks it should be one of the 1000 Books You Read Before You Die:

Jul 30, 2018
Ta-Nehisi Coates’s book is prompted in part by his inability to offer any comfort to his son after the latter’s disillusionment in the aftermath of the killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, and the exoneration of the police officers at whose hands he died: “I did not tell you that it would be okay, because I have never believed it would be okay.” The paternal anguish of a parent who knows he cannot protect his child from the embedded racism he has seen claim with impunity the lives of friends and relations brings a new dimension to a familiar fear, the one Coates felt as a constant companion of his own Baltimore childhood and coming-of-age. Unforgiving and unforgettable, Between the World and Me is a book to be reckoned with, its raw feeling as searing as its formidable eloquence; the questions it raises are weightier than any answers, one fears, can lift.

No comments:

Tuesday Freewrite Fifteen

I am just sitting here after my Centering Prayer for the House of Prayer in East London. I have not been with that group for SO LONG! I just...