Tuesday, June 16, 2015

29. Is Gwyneth Paltrow Wrong About Everything?

I have always known that detox cleanses were not possible, but this author refers to all the studies that prove you cannot detox your body by buying expensive cleanses. He also discusses myths about juicing and gluten-free diets.

He also debunks the myths about anti-aging products. I like his practical, down-to-earth, and humorous approach to these myths. The part about plastic surgery is just plain scary (go to Sun Valley and drive around, and you will see REALLY SCARY results of the "fake and bake" culture there!).

I have been a nutritionist for 34 years. I have to hold my tongue when people are doing the latest detox or diet. Usually the person telling me usually has a degree in history, and I paid thousands of dollars to learn the science behind nutrition, but they know more than I do. I could have saved my money and just read the internet! Who knew? 

It just does not work to try to tell them otherwise. Even some of the reviews for this book still will not believe this author who carefully researched everything. They slander him something terrible. 

Over the years, I have learned that the placebo effect is REAL. So, there is no use talking people out of their misconceptions. You will be crucified if you try. Just last week I was having a private conversation, and someone who knows my nutrition background (and my success at keeping my weight down at 55 years of age) was asking me sincere questions about how to lose and keep off weight. Another person overheard the conversation and started challenging me. This is why I do not usually share my expertise (Yes, it is expertise - like I said, I paid a lot of money for my degree, and I am not afraid to say that it does allow me to say I have expertise in the area of nutrition. I graduated with high honors, by the way) in groups. 

So, I think that if they think it is working for them, let them do it. If they do not want my expertise, I do not give my opinion. I only share it when I am asked. This time I was asked, and I have learned that I will pull the conversation to the side and have it privately. It really bothered me for days afterward. 

The only things that are proven as helping in the anti-aging process are:
1) Retinoids 
2) Resurfacing  
3) Fillers 
He concludes Part I by saying that, "We should not let celebrity lies defy the science-informed six." 

Here are the six: 
1. Don't smoke, and drink alcohol in moderation. 
2. Stay active, stand often, exercise regularly, and include some vigorous activities.  
3. Eat a balanced and calorie-appropriate diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein (such as fish, chicken, beans, and nuts), and healthy fats (such as olive oil); avoid bad fats (those of the trans variety). 
4. Maintain a healthy weight (tough, I know). 
5. Wear sunscreen. 
6. Get an appropriate amount of sleep (which for most, is between seven and nine hours). p. 119
Part II of the book was not as appealing for me as Part I. It was more in the psychology of why we admire celebrities, and the low-probability of becoming famous. It is alarming that children today want to be famous. 
"Twenty-five years ago the top five career ambitions of grade-school children were teacher, banker, doctor, scientist, and vet. Now according to a recent UK survey, they are, in descending order of awesomeness: sports star, pop star, actor, astronaut, and lawyer." p. 124. 
SAD! 

No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...