Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Lord Give You Shalom

Had a wonderful morning time with Chai Tea and a word study on Peace:

It came from these two verses in my Face to Face: Praying the Scriptures for Spiritual Growth (I feel like I am definitely in a season of growth that I haven't experienced for quite some time.) :)

O Lord, bless us and keep us;
O Lord, make Your face shine upon us
and be gracious to us;
O Lord, turn your face toward us
and give us peace. (Numbers 6:24-26)

You have loved me, O God, and called me to be a saint; You, O God my Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ have given me grace and peace. (Romans 1:7)

This was most definitely the cry of my heart in the tumultuous time in late May and early June, and you granted it to me at the Sylvia Beach Hotel, and it has not subsided since we made the surprising decision to leave our church of 28 (me) and 20 (George) years.

So, what is peace?

Old Testament word in Numbers is Shalom. That is familiar enough. A deeper study says "peace, safety, prosperity, well-being, intactness, wholeness, peace can have a focus of security, safety which can bring feelings of satisfaction, well-being, and contentment (Strong's). Vine's says it primarily signifies "wholeness." The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament has a more complete definition of "health and completeness." It says that it means "much more than the absense of strife. . . the root verb Shalem better expresses the true concept. . . Completeness, wholeness, harmony, fulfillment, unimpaired relationships with others and fulfillment in one's undertakings. To wish one Shalom implies a blessing. . . Shalom is the result of God's activity in covenant, and is the result of righteousness."

Isaiah 32:17-18
And the work of righteousness will be PEACE,
And service of righteousness, quietness and confidence (security) forever
Then my people will live in peaceful habitation,
And in secure dwellings and in undisturbed resting places

The TWOT goes on that it is the "state of fulfillment which is the result of God's presence. Specifically indicated in the 'covenant of peace'."

Isaiah 54:10
"For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake,
But my lovingkindness will not be removed from You,
And my covenant of peace will not be shaken,"
Says the LORD who has compassion on you.


I just noticed as I typed that there are two contrasts:

mountains removed/lovingkindness NOT removed
hills shaken/covenant of peace NOT be shaken

COOL!

In 1 Chronicles 22:9-10 it is associated with calmness, rest, and to be quiet.

"The classic statement of this concept is in the Aaronic benediction of Numbers 6:24-26. The man to whom God has given peace is one who is blessed (barak) guarded (shamar), and treated graciously (hanan), by Yahweh. This is fulfillment through the divine gift."

Ultimately, our sar shalom is the Prince of Peace - the one who brings fulfillment and righteousness to the earth. Christ is our peace (Ephesians 2:14) who has broken down every wall. He is the messianic prince who brings wholeness and redemption to mankind.

My prayer has been for a season of peace in my life, and I do believe that He is granting it to us.

SHALOM,
Carol





No comments:

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...