Tuesday, March 05, 2013

The Bible and Classical Literature

I found this on a blog called "Classics and the Bible" by Adriana@Classical Quest, and I could not agree more:


"The centrality of the Bible for Christians means that they ought never to despise learning. By precept, by example, by its history, and by its very nature, the Bible opens up to us the whole world of truth."
~Gene Edward Veith Jr.


This reminds me so much of what I am learning as I read Booked: Literature in the Soul of Me by Karen Swallow Prior. Stay tuned for a review of this book (I am savoring the chapter on Jane Eyre and do not want it to end). It is SO where I am with classical literature and the connection with truth!!!!!

5 comments:

Adriana@ClassicalQuest said...

I'm glad you liked the quote, Carol.

I pulled it from a book I'm reading now:

Loving God with All Your Mind: Thinking as a Christian in the Postmodern World by Gene Edward Veith, Jr.

Thank you for the shout-out! :)

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Loving God with all your mind - you see the title of my blog! Heart, soul, mind, and strength wellness is my goal here. I must find this book!

Adriana@ClassicalQuest said...

Carol, I just HAD to come back over to tell you some news: Karen Swallow Prior, author of BOOKED is guest posting on my blog this Thursday!!! She's sharing an excerpt from the book!!!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

That is too fun! How did that come about? Were you one of her early reviewers? Still wondering how I heard about her book and wondering if it was your blog and just forgot!

Adriana@ClassicalQuest said...

It's all kind of a blur, Carol. I feel like I've been visited by a kind fairy godmother. I started following her on Twitter and she followed me back. After I posted a review of BOOKED, she left a comment and promoted it on Twitter. Later she tweeted that she would be happy to do a guest post for me.

I recently updated a few pages on my blog and I linked to you 2X. In my "Adriana of Classical Quest" page I mentioned your BHAG. I also listed you on my "Well-Educated Mind Blog Directory."

http://www.classicalquest.com/p/about-short-version.html

Friday Freewrite Fifteen

Back in the Pilates Saddle  Whew! What a whirlwind week it has been. Busier than usual, but manageable. This is the first day that I don'...